this family of mine

Sunday, February 28


I have always felt recording life was important.  Ask Dallin, I'm sure he won't hesitate to tell you on how many occasions he has mumbled under his breath while I stop every two seconds to take pictures. Writing is one thing, and while it is extremely important, pictures and videos take on a whole new meaning.  Following Auni's diagnosis (Spinal Muscular Atrophy type 1), we couldn't take enough pictures or videos.  With Auni's diagnosis being terminal, and truly not knowing when our last day together would be, we wanted to be able to remember every last detail about her and about our life with her.  I think we did a pretty good job considering our expansion drive chuck full of pictures and videos of her.  Surprisingly, I still wish we would have taken more.  I knew we would always cherish them, but after she passed away, they have become so unbelievably valuable.  That is the one and only thing I would risk my life for if our house caught on fire.  I cling to every memory for dear life in fear of forgetting little details about her.  Her smell, the feel of her soft, chubby hands, the sound of her giggle, the way her babbles and squeals would carry through the house.  There is an endless list.  It's like my hands are full of laundry and I keep dropping small items as I try to carry them.  Every time I do, I scramble as quickly as possible to pick it back up in fear of losing it, all while trying to juggle all the other items in my arms.  Every last one of them being just as important as the next.  

These family pictures are some of the most cherished pictures we have.  My sweet friend, Brynn from Sunnydays Photography , took these gorgeous pictures for us and I will never be able to thank her enough.  She has taken all of our pictures clear back to Dallin and I's engagements.   She has a unique eye and her editing style is spot on!  I just can't get enough of her work.  I knew I wanted family pictures done soon, because Auni was getting to the point where she couldn't tolerate being held upright anymore without having a choking spell (due to SMA, her weakening muscles prevented her from controlling her saliva properly and it would go into her lungs).  We were still overwhelmed with Auni's care at this point so that's why family pictures had kept falling down the ever growing to-do list.  You know, picking out outfits, getting my hair done, etc.  Our life was already crazy enough, and I was trying to keep from anything additional to the list.  I finally scheduled a date with Brynn that worked with our crazy schedule and she took care of the rest!  She found this house in Provo with an unruly, unmaintained yard to use for our shoot.  To most that would have come across this house, the only thing they would have noticed was how unmaintained and homely it was sitting amongst the gorgeous neighboring yards.  Brynn saw the potential and it was exactly what we were wanting.  I wanted very outdoorsy pictures with evergreens, logs, etc., so this location fit the bill perfectly.  The best part is, we didn't have to drive up the canyon to get it.  

We were planning on doing another session with Brynn but Auni passed away before we could plan it, so these are our last professional family pictures of all three of us.  I love every last one of them.  I also want to mention that this post is not sponsored in any way, Brynn is just that talented.  I love her work more than I can say, and she has become a really good friend of ours over the years.  If you are in need of pictures of any kind, I highly recommend scheduling with her.  You will not be disappointed! 

After going through all we did with Auni girl, my eyes were opened and a lot of perspective was gained.  I now know of a surety what is most important in our lives, and that's family.  Family should be put above all else.  No matter the cost, my family is the highest priority in my life.  They are my everything and my heart is so full of gratitude for how blessed I truly am.  Hold your loved ones close today!  Appreciate every single moment you have with them, because the scary thing is, we never know when it might be our last.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground